Thursday, October 24, 2013

ORC WEEK 4: GUEST ROOM MAKEOVER

Welcome to week 4 of the ORC!  Last week was a DIY week.

I managed to make a slipcovered headboard, bed skirt and curtains!

First, the headboard.
I  don't have a step by step how-to for you but I basically followed the same steps I used for the upholstered bench I made last year minus the zipper side.

(I measured my existing headboard then added an inch for seam allowance on all sides (hxwxd)
I ended up cutting 3 pieces of fabric - front, back and a continuous boxing for the sides and top...)



I also used the hot pink piping I got from ReStore for contrast...




(proof that I'm still a sewing novice)


Sew...

I ended up with this...
(still needs ironing and I wish it was a little tighter but overall  I'm pretty pleased with the result)


Next, the bed skirt.

I cut 5 pieces of fabric.
2 for the sides, the front and 2 small ones for front corners...  

I hemmed the sides and also used the pink piping to match the headboard.  I cheated and used upholstery nails to attach the pieces to the box spring...

Sides and corners first...


then front...




Ta-da!

(The rug is back from the cleaners!)



Not bad, right?!


Lastly, the curtains...


Ikea ritva curtains + navy grosgrain ribbon + hot glue gun =
I purchased a 2  1/4 " grosgrain ribbon from ribbon retreat (which came as one continuous roll)  and I used my level ruler as the margin from the hem and in between the two bands. 

(I got the bamboo shade at Big Lots for $25!)


The room is coming together!

I still need to -

make a cushion for my chair
install sputnik chandelier
hang art
accessorize


Thanks for following along!  If you missed the previous weeks, just click on the ORC link button on the top right of this page.


Now let's check out how the others are doing!




29 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! Excellent job!!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Very nice job! What a great "cheat" for the bedskirt and I'm impressed with all of your piping. Everything is looking so posh! I think your headboard looks great, but you could wrap a layer or two of batting around it and then put your slip cover back on. That might fill it in a little more if it's bothering you. Beautiful!

Vel Criste said...

Perfect! galing mo mare, love the bed and of course the navy on the curtains!!!!!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

loving the curtains!! So beautiful!! and good job with the bed!

Erin said...

Charmaine! Great job! Gosh you are such an inspiration. I really need to get out my sewing machine and REALLY learn how to use the dang thing. Ha! Looks great! Love how everything is coming together!

erinstaussdesign.co

Karena said...

Charmaine, I am impressed! Love the panels and trim. Try ironing downward on the headboard fabric and I bet it will smooth out well!

xoxo
Karena
New_2013 Designer Series

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

Charmaine - those curtains and that bed - WOW. you are SO TALENTED. i cannot WAIT to see more. but for now, im picking up my jaw from the floor at your skillz

A Perfect Gray said...

your curtains are killing me. so good. i just hung linen panels and was wondering how i was gonna trim them....love your way! donna

Rebecca { MyDarlingHouse} said...

That bed skirt is genius! What a great way to make one!

Megan said...

I LOVE the pink piping on the headboard and bedskirt. I also second the comment about adding some batting behind the headboard fabric. It will help fill things in and it will probably be more comfortable for guests leaning up againest the headboard. Also, just incase you have not heard of these- check out upholstery twist pins. They are PERFECT for attaching bedskirts and hold really well. This way you can remove the bedskirt easily if needed and you don't have to waste your lovely nailheads where no one will see them. Can't wait to see the finished space!

http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-9070-Upholstery-4-Inch-30-Pack/dp/B002LN9TS8

Kristen said...

Love the headboard and bed skirt! Such a clean look, and I love the color you chose for the piping!

Anonymous said...

For a sewing novice you're doing great! The room has a great foundation now and I'm looking forward to seeing the stylish layers you add. I also have some ritva curtains that need trim and think your placement of the trim is perfect ... could you share the spacing measurements (from outside edge to trim, from trim to next trim) and how wide is the ribbon you used? Thanks!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Wow you got a lot done this week - impressive!! The piping looks so great on the headboard and bedskirt - such a pretty detail. (By the way my bedskirt is attached exactly the same way - perfect for customizing the length of the skirt since our bed is on risers.) Your curtains came out fabulously also!

Gwen, The Makerista said...

Those curtains look so amazing! And I lvoe the bedskirt and headboard. The hot pink trim is perfect. I'm sure once you iron the slipcover it will look great!

Unknown said...

looks so good!!

Unknown said...

Wow! You did a great job with all 3! I'm especially loving the curtains with the ribbon, nice touch!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

Holy bedskirt! I am so impressed. I am thinking of doing one for myself and I love your "cheat". It looks so professional.

House of Pemberley said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it. The curtains rock.

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

You've been a busy gal! I wish I could sew! Everything is coming together so great!!

Carol said...

Oh wow - love the idea of the trim on your curtains. Now you have my brain on overdrive (and no time, no time!) Everything is looking great!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Charmaine, you rocked that bed...amazing!! I love the double ribbon detail on the drapes. So good.

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

Great way to attach the bedskirt. I'm going to have to try this! btw love your drapes :)

LiveLaughDecorate said...

I think those curtains should be sold in stores/Etsy. So freaking good. You're on DIY fire with this makeover lady. Love how it's coming together

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

Oh my gosh I love your piping! That bed is going to be amazing!!

Unknown said...

Look at you! Love that bedskirt with pink piping. And the curtains. Fab!

pam {simple details} said...

No way you're still a novice with the sewing machine! Your bed and drapes are fabulous, love your piping and ribbon details for a great custom look!

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

So jealous! I wish I could sew. I blame my mom on that :)

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I think you are a sewing queen! You have done an amazing job my friend. It looks great!

SHERRY HART said...

That is how all my bedskirts are now! I use those squiggly twist things from BB&B to attach. So much easier than when you had to add all that decking. Loving the pink and navy and the double trim on the curtains.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails