Tuesday, September 11, 2012

DIY: PARSON STYLE UPHOLSTERED BENCH



I just made this upholstered bench! Oh, yeah!  Can I get a high five?!

First of all, let me just say my sewing skills are not that good.  My only experience with a sewing machine was a 2-hour sewing class at JoAnn's last year.  I am beyond thrilled that I was able to sew a boxed cushion with a zipper!!!

Do you want to learn how to do it?  It's actually not that hard.  If I can do it, you can do it too!

Here are the Materials:

parson style table
 -I got mine at target (RE style side table), it is the perfect size and height 18"x18"x17"(compared to the LACK which is bigger)

2 inch foam
batting (optional)
fabric
cording
zipper
mod podge
brush/foam
scissors
sewing machine
thread
yard stick
chalk/pencil

I've been wanting to do this project for the longest time but I couldn't figure out how I was going to attach the fabric to the table until I saw Emily's Amazing DIY - faux snakeskin table on her blog,
Recently".

She used Mod Podge!
I followed steps 1-3 and omitted step 4 (I want the base and cushion to have the same finish)



{I pre shrunk my fabric by washing and drying so I can wash it when it gets dirty}

For an 18"x18"x 2" boxed cushion, you'll need to cut...
two - 19 x 19 inch squares
one - 3" x 55" for the front and side boxing
two - 2.5" x 29" for the zipper boxing


I basically followed the directions step by step.

This is the zipper boxing...
{You'll need a 29 inch zipper.  And yes, that's my sewing machine manual.  I told you I'm new to this!)

I ended up buying ready made cording from JoAnn's (but DS has a tutorial for making your own cording too)

The fabric is also from JoAnn's -  Jay Smith Collection - Mosaic Dots.

I stuffed it with 2 inch foam and wrapped it with batting.


Put it on top and Voila!

{I was going to attach the cushion to the table with velcro but it actually stays in place without one)

I love it!  Do you?

It is so versatile too.



Since we entertain a lot and everyone gathers in the family room, it is probably going to stay here.  Now all I need is to make another one for the other side of the dresser! :0



13 comments:

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

You go! I can't sew to save my life but this looks do-able, even for me! Love it!

LiveLaughDecorate said...

Very impressive lady. I too can't sew to save my life though I do recall sewing a bathing suit in home ec class ages ago - and it was wearable! I have the utmost respect for the seamstresses of the world.

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is awesome!!! it looks amazing- love the fabric and the touch of pink!

noone said...

oh that turned out amazing! you did an awesome job :D

Melissa Crochet @ The Insane Domain said...

For a girl with limited sewing skills you rock!

Kris and Jen said...

Love the Pink cording....Great Job.

Michelle said...

Thank you for the tutorial! Love the finished product!

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

Looks great of course.I have no DIY skills. Only BYOB skills :) - Brandy

Tiffany Leigh said...

It's so adorable! I love the pop of pink, and how it harkens to the dalmation dot pattern that is all the craze right now but in a new and interesting way. What a cutie little stool!

pam {simple details} said...

I can't believe you did a zipper AND cording after just two hours of instruction! Fun fabric choice!

Kahli said...

I love it! I love the pink contrasting cording really makes it pop! Good job!

Sadie + Stella said...

Ummmm. I am so freaking impressed. So impressed. Took that same 2 hour sewing class and my skills are not as good as yours. Lemme tell ya.

Julia Ryan said...

I LOVE this girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails