Monday, March 22, 2010

DIY #1: BEFORE AND AFTER CANE CHAIRS

This is actually an old DIY project done several months ago.

I bought a dining room table and 4 chairs from a thrift store for $40! Since we entertain a lot, I needed a table with extra leaves.  This one came with 3.  I also saw alot of potential in the chairs.




I removed the cushions and recovered them with Amy Butler fabric





Instead of sanding, I started the project using liquid de-glosser.  Then, I put one coat of Kiltz oil based primer.  Finally, I used 3 (or 4) coats of leftover paint from the "White Kitchen" project.
(BM atrium white semi gloss)


I love the caning so I knew I wanted to highlight them.  I painted them yellow (BM lightening bug 
semi gloss).  I followed the same steps as the frame and used an artist brush to avoid drips.


The result:


And here they are in my dining room


Not bad for a $70 project!
More pictures of my dining room tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like those chairs - so fresh and modern!! I like that you went bold added yellow to the cain, it makes a huge differance! looks amazing

ashlina {the decorista} said...

hey there pretty! can i just say wow! nicely done! i love them......wanna send them to me??? hehe jk

Unknown said...

Amazing..I have a chair with broken seats..too good to be thrown away and yet, I dont know how to fix it. BTW, the fabric is beautiful..happy day.

Tiina said...

oh great, what a fantastic re-do!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails